We started the Inspire Community Garden in April 2016 with the intention that everyone involved in the garden will be a volunteer. We’re looking for volunteers to take part in all aspects of the garden and we need people to look after different aspects of the site.
We need people who enjoy the physical as well as the community aspects of the garden, e.g.:
- Clearing overgrown areas, keeping trees & bushes in check and maintaining the paths & fences
- Digging & weeding to enable the plants to grow healthily without being smothered by weeds
- Horticultural aspects including planting and defining which areas should be used for which plants, including rotation of crops
- Constructing raised beds
- Building of facilities such as the eating & relaxation area, the composting area, a composting toilet, water collection and construction of other buildings as funding is obtained
- Mentoring of growers with the potential to train as a Master Gardener.
We plan to introduce the Garden Organic ‘Master Gardeners’ programme to our facility where people will be trained to mentor and help growers in the whole of the North-East Derbyshire area.
To manage the project we have set up a new Charity in the name of the garden and we have appointed five Trustees.
We are now looking to establish a ‘management’ team who will work with the Trustees to help with the overall design of the plot in order to facilitate access to all members of the public, particularly those with disabilities, and to plan for the ongoing cultivation of the land.
If you are interested in becoming a member of the management team or a Trustee to help us manage the garden, we will be pleased to hear from you. Please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested.
If you’d just like to comment or make suggestions, please complete the form below: